Gain a deeper understanding of the environmental performance of the oil and gas industry, at both a global and regional level
Every year, roughly 20 gigatonnes of CO2 emissions are generated globally through the combustion of fossil oil and gas. Shockingly, 90% of these emissions are a result of the end-use combustion of hydrocarbon fuels, while the remaining 10% is due to combustion within the E&P sector. When it comes to emissions in the E&P sector, around 45% is from upstream activities, with the remaining 55% from mid/downstream activities like refining and gas processing.
Methane emissions from the energy sector have moved high up on the agenda among governments, operators, and other stakeholders such as investors in the past couple of years. Methane is the second-biggest contributor to climate change, and since the gas is a potent air pollutant with high global warming potential, it has to be tackled in the short term to help prevent the much-discussed climate tipping points.
At Rystad Energy, we believe that data transparency and quality are key to curbing methane emissions in the oil and gas industry. We have therefore developed a consistent, field-level, upstream oil and gas methane emissions database that incorporates and combines publicly available methane data, proprietary facility-level estimations, and global satellite data measurements in a consistent manner. The database is continuously updated with the latest available information – also from satellite detections.
For those passionate about sustainability, our North America Sustainability Solution is a complement to our global, company-based emissions data and regional emission data. By subscribing, you can easily benchmark key operators, analyze North American onshore and offshore CO2 and CH4 emissions, and evaluate ESG ranking for public operators in the US and Canada. Furthermore, you can examine relevant peer fields or companies and contrast key trends in the upstream space for all oil and gas fields in North America.
We are committed to providing you access to data and commentaries that synthesize the market implications of trends and key events. With our expert views, all backed by Rystad Energy's unparalleled data universe, you can make informed decisions and stay ahead of the game.
Analyze and benchmark emission performance on field level, company portfolio level or any other aggregated dimension, both historically and future forecasted through data based on:
- Company and country emissions split by supply segment, field life cycle, field type and production detail, continuously updated with new data
- Upstream CO2 emissions split by extraction and flaring, including data quality indicators, future trends and maps
- Deep dive into company data, M&A data, and a flexible tool that can be merged into your data system
- Benchmark North American operators based on key metrics for each ESG component - understand the main drivers behind performances in each dimension
Deep dive into the strategies of key E&P companies, dissecting their transition plans, diversification focus, and decarbonization efforts. Leverage this unparalleled insight to better understand how the oil and gas industry is evolving in the complex landscape of energy transition, enabling you to:
- Analyze strategies: Understand the corporate strategies of major players, their performances, and their decarbonization targets.
- Benchmark performances and targets: Measure yourself against industry peers, identifying strengths, weaknesses, and areas for improvement.
- Understand transition risks: Quantify energy transition risks and opportunities for various stakeholders and KPIs within the oil and gas value chain, ensuring you are prepared for the road ahead.
Bespoke consulting engagements delivered by our industry specialists.
2024: Reducing methane emissions is a more low-hanging fruit than cutting emissions of carbon dioxide
Methane emissions from the energy sector have moved high up on the agenda among governments, operators, and other stakeholders such as investors in the past couple of years.
Benchmark and forecast companies' performance by accessing:
Deals screening and industry challenges
Competitor analysis and market outlook
Decarbonization commitments, trends and strategies
Carry out a complete market analysis on:
Carbon risk assessment and competitiveness
Macro environment and forecast
Deals screening and outlooks
Identify potential investments based on:
Companies benchmarking on ESG targets
Decarbonization trends and strategies
Carbon policies and market impacts
Understand country positioning through:
Global field emissions and value chain emissions
Decarbonization trends and strategies
Make better decisions with Emissions Solution across multiple energy types. Learn how below:
Relevant across energy types